Students for Democracy - uncensored international political forums
  StudentsforDemocracy home     StudentsforDemocracy - forums     StudentsforDemocracy - guestbook  
Register   Login  

Students for Democracy Forums - International political debates Active TopicsActive Topics   Forum Search for members only!Search   HelpHelp   Join StudentsforDemocracy - all you need is a username and a passwordRegister   LoginLogin

SfD mailtrap (does not appear in browsers): n.bcvihteu@contact.studentsfordemocracy.org

SfD Lounge
 Students for Democracy forums : SfD Lounge
Subject Topic: Freedom of Religon or Worship? Post Reply Post New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
tude dog
Bigger than the Beatles
(Troll Task Force)
Bigger than the Beatles
poor me,poor me, pour me another one

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 18/July/2010 at 18:37 | IP Logged  |  Copy the link in order to refer to this post Quote tude dog

Slight change in the rheortic by our miraculous President Obama and the charming Secretary of State Clinton.

I didn't graduate Harvard or Yale with a law degree, but the First Amendment to our Constitution, is very clear very clear to me.

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

The following commentary makes clear how Our Beloved leader change in choice of words make a difference.

Why “Freedom of Worship” Is Not Enough
Feb 22, 2010
Ashley Samelson

In his Cairo speech in June of 2009, President Obama gave religious freedom a place of heightened importance in his administration’s agenda. His speech both emphasized the importance of religious freedom when considering overall human dignity and human rights, as well as acknowledged the fact that good diplomacy must take religion into consideration as a fundamental component of international engagement. Both were tremendous steps forward in how this nation engages a world facing encroaching religious fundamentalism and ever-receding religious freedom.

Why then, is his administration shrinking from a robust understanding of religious freedom in its rhetoric of late?

Recently, both President Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton have been caught using the phrase “freedom of worship” in prominent speeches, rather than the “freedom of religion” the President called for in Cairo.

If the swap-out occurred only once or twice, one might appropriately conclude it was merely a rhetorical accident. However, both the President and his Secretary of State have now replaced “freedom of religion” with “freedom of worship” too many times to seem inadvertent.

As Tom Farr, Professor of Religion and World Affairs at Georgetown University and the former head of the State Department’s International Religious Freedom Office, stated at a recent congressional hearing forecasting international religious freedom issues to watch in 2010, “Those of us in the business of sniffing out rats know that this is a rhetorical shift to watch.”

“Freedom of worship” first appeared in a high profile speech in Obama’s remarks at the memorial for the victims of the Fort Hood shooting last November, a few months after his Cairo speech. Speaking to the crowd gathered to commemorate the victims, President Obama said, “We're a nation that guarantees the freedom to worship as one chooses.” Given the religious tension that marked the tragic incident, it was not an insignificant event at which to unveil a new way of referring to our First Freedom.

Shortly after his remarks at Ft. Hood, President Obama left for his trip to Asia, where he repeatedly referred to “freedom of worship,” and not once to “freedom of religion.”

Not long after his return, “freedom of worship” appeared in two prominent speeches delivered by Secretary Clinton. In her address to Georgetown University outlining the Obama Administration’s human rights agenda she used “freedom of worship” three times, “freedom of religion,” not once. About a month later, in an address to Senators on int

Back to Top View tude dog's Profile Search for other posts by tude dog Visit tude dog's Homepage

Brian Foley
Bigger than the Beatles
(Troll Task Force)
Bigger than the Beatles
Refuse - Resist

Posted: 18/July/2010 at 20:54 | IP Logged  |  Copy the link in order to refer to this post Quote Brian Foley

tude dog wrote:
Why “Freedom of Worship” Is Not Enough

Should read
“Freedom of Unemployment”
Religion dont pay bills.

And you vote in sham elections Tude.
Back to Top View Brian Foley's Profile Search for other posts by Brian Foley

tude dog
Bigger than the Beatles
(Troll Task Force)
Bigger than the Beatles

Posted: 18/July/2010 at 21:11 | IP Logged  |  Copy the link in order to refer to this post Quote tude dog

Brian Foley wrote:
Should read
“Freedom of Unemployment”
Religion dont pay bills.

I have no idea what you are talking about my friend. A link would have been helpful.

Brian Foley
Bigger than the Beatles
(Troll Task Force)
Bigger than the Beatles
Refuse - Resist

Posted: 19/July/2010 at 00:34 | IP Logged  |  Copy the link in order to refer to this post Quote Brian Foley

The fact there are now millions unemployed in America and your great leader finds it appropiate to debate religion. Seems to me as another crock to get peoples minds off the real issues.

tude dog
Bigger than the Beatles
(Troll Task Force)
Bigger than the Beatles

Posted: 20/July/2010 at 12:54 | IP Logged  |  Copy the link in order to refer to this post Quote tude dog

Brian Foley wrote:
The fact there are now millions unemployed in America and your great leader finds it appropiate to debate religion.

No debate. The Anointed One is just shooting off his mouth.

Message inserted by SfD invitation bot:

Been lurking for quite some time here? Then it is time now to let us know what you think!

Brian Foley
Bigger than the Beatles
(Troll Task Force)
Bigger than the Beatles
Refuse - Resist

Posted: 21/July/2010 at 18:06 | IP Logged  |  Copy the link in order to refer to this post Quote Brian Foley

tude dog wrote:
The Anointed One is just shooting off his mouth.
Reading from a cue card written by one of his speech writers more like it.

tude dog
Bigger than the Beatles
(Troll Task Force)
Bigger than the Beatles

Posted: 21/July/2010 at 18:30 | IP Logged  |  Copy the link in order to refer to this post Quote tude dog

Brian Foley wrote:
tude dog wrote:
The Anointed One is just shooting off his mouth.

Reading from a cue card written by one of his speech writers more like it.

cue cards?

Get with it dude, that boy graduated Harvard

*Indicates required fields
Name*:
Do the Math!
Result*:  Warning: Wrong result adds your IP to our Spam Database!
Bold Italic Underline Add Hyperlink Add Email Link Centre List Indent Add Image Mode:
Message*:

Emoticons
[:)] [:P] [;)]
[:^(] [:D] [LOL]
[xx(] [:$] [:s]
[=D>] [:x] [8(]
[:*:] [:o] [|)]
more...
   Enable Forum Codes to format post

Select the text you want to have translated Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version